[OT] Internet Censorship

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 02:24:21 EDT 2011

On 08/11/2011 11:49 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 8/11/11 12:16 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
>> The issue of payment and distibution is far more varied
>> and complex than most of you seem to be aware of or willing to
>> consider. As consumers your interests only reflect a very limited
>> perspective.
>
> When faced with a decision like this, I substitute "my software" for
> "music" and see how I'd feel about it.

My software comes in two versions: the FREE version and the
ever-progressing 30
day "Demo" (which is fully functional). I am well aware that IFF my
'Pro' ever becomes
successful people will start pirating it [in fact I found my FREE
version on a pirate site, when doing a Google to see how 'viral' it was;
the ultimate accolade], therefore I run a school to fill my fridge. I
also make some money running around sorting out people's computers.

I don't steal software (and as I can really not afford anything I use
Open Source alternatives) and I don't download music I don't already
own. However, I have downloaded mp3 files of my favourite gramophone
records; as far as I can see, the only difference between that and
hooking my gramophone up to the computer and converting the music is a
matter of blood, sweat and tears.

So far I have made the princely sum of 8 Euros from my software . . .  :)