Back to LC & Inventive Users

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Thu Aug 11 21:44:16 EDT 2011

Maybe interactive tutorial or flash-card type projects that will help your students succeed in their other subjects.

When my kids were grades 1-2-3 I used hypercard to write a number of really cool phonics instruction stacks. Kept adding features. Text-to-speech. Rhyming. English-like phonics combinations that aren't really English words. Keeping track of difficulty and success, identifying which items have been learned to criterion, which ones need more practice.

It's easy enough to do the same sort of thing with math facts, vocabulary, chemistry, or whatever.

The basics for this kind of stack are pretty easy. Because LC is object-oriented, it's easy and fun for the more capable students to attempt new and creative features. They learn nothing bad happens if they click on a button that has a bad script in it. You can start with really basic functionality and gradually add features, in accordance with criterion 4, below.

Similar projects might include interactive personal journal or diary projects. Many possibilities for organizing creative writing, if some of your students are into that.

How about a "bucket list" stack. I.e., keeping track of the things I want to do before I die, and how to make them happen.

The usual hyperCard tutorial stacks included address books, index your CDs (now DVDs or MP3s). These were good learning experiences that could produce truly useful stacks.

Tim