AW: how to copy a folder from preferences under lion?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 10 10:04:24 EDT 2011

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:

 >> Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> What's wrong with using the folder Apple recommends?:
 >>
 >>    specialFolderPath("preferences")
 >
 > I have some files which must be shared for all users (see my previous
 > threads). That’s why I had those files in the past in /library
 > /preferences/
 > and now for Lion in /applications/myFolder/
 > which works for fresh installations. Now I wanted to migrate my files
 > for existing installations, who upgraded to Lion to the new location,
 > but I don't get them off the old location.

Page 27 of the Release Notes may be helpful here:

    Elevated process support (4.5 – experimental)

    Sometimes it is necessary to perform operations on the local
    machine as an administrator, and a typical pattern for a GUI
    application doing this is for it to prompt for authentication
    at certain points.

    Modern operating systems do not permit a process to elevate
    itself, nor grant itself increased privilege. Instead, they
    only allow a running process to launch another process with
    increased privilege. Therefore, in order to support this, a
    new form of the open process command has been introduced that
    can launch a slave process with elevated permissions:

     open elevated process process [ for [ text | binary ]
         ( read | write | update | neither ) ]

    This form operates identically to the normal version, except
    that engine will ask the system to launch the given process
    with admin/root privileges.

    The standard way for a GUI application that needs to perform
    privileged operations to be structured is to split the
    application into two parts: a GUI front-end that interacts with
    the user, and a command-line back-end that is run with elevated
    permissions. These two parts can then talk to each other using
    a standard master-slave approach, or some other form of IPC such
    as sockets.

    Important: This feature is currently experimental. This means
    that it may not be complete, or may fail in some circumstances
    that you would expect it to work. Please do not be afraid to try
    it out as we need feedback to develop it further.

For myself it seems like a lot of work to provide two standalones for
one task; I'd probably opt for using the /Users/Shared folder instead.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World