[Server] create stack trouble

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Tue Aug 9 11:52:33 EDT 2011

Hi Björke, i understand your state of mind, which I do share.. sometimes! I
take the position of using what is usable, what actually work; I took time
to test these stacks because it was strategic for my plans. And I adapted my
strategy to fit what works fine now.

On the other hand, I would really WISH that things be much clearer from
mothership as to what their intend is and at what timeline. THis is a long
story of communication habit...

And on the stack issue, it would be EASY to just state the intent and
eventually to rename the server stacks to some other things like
"server-libraries" so as to avoid mis-conceptions from our part. And when I
say my part, I have years of history to step back, but boy, new users can be
really carried away !!!

So I wrote to support as follows :

Hi! I as an early on-rev adopter, I started digging revServer stacks and
found out quite a few limitations that are not clearly stated in the
existing docs. Before adding comments on the docs, I'm gathering feedback
from the nabble list and would like to have a feedback from you too.

> It seems so far that server stacks are designed as SCRIPT CONTAINERS, with
> a possible password protection, to develop libraries, test some of them on
> the IDE, load them on the server and call routines with a better
> organization.
>
> Some additionnal data storage is provided via use of custom props and
> creation of blank cards, which can already be useful particularly for
> account parameters etc.
>
> On the other hand, card creation with background fields, field creation
> and card navigation are crippled and do not allow a more standard use of
> stacks, as a structured data container. See further on on the file for
> details.
> revServer-MEMO-server_Stacks_v1.rtf
>
> Question : is that clearly your intend? Or do you intend to bring server
> stack on par with standard stacks?

But again, in practice, the best we can do is also to identify precisely
what actually works fine and help each other have a clear view of that
"SAFE" area.

The library-stack + cards & custom props approach is already a great step
from the .irev files, even if it is miles away from compatibility with
standard stacks. it just had to be made clear!

=> The results I got with my test were so surpising, *It would be nice to
have these findings confirmed so that we can add the useful comments on the
documentation.*

/I added a first comment saying that command "go stack.. blabla " does not
work, but it is not fully true it does work in some conditions.. so I asked
to strip it off and we need to clarify, precise and confirm these issues.
Thanks.
/
I can share my test files and stacks, but, it would be better to fully
re-test separately.

Have a good day,
Robert