[OT] Flash is Dead

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 13:42:33 EDT 2011

Considering how much investment, in terms of talent, money and time there
has been in Flash [I really wonder what the proportion of websites that
use Flash is, but, subjectively at least, it does seem quite high] I
cannot see everybody merrily abandoning it for the "next thang" very
quickly.

Steve Jobs is Steve Jobs [PBUH; Pimples Be Upon Him], but all those folk
who've spent
hard-earned money, or (one has to take into account folk in Bulgaria
here) at least, spent hours slaving with a pirate copy (or an open
source way of doing things, come to think of it), are not Steve Jobs,
and don't have more crinklies than the US treasury,
and so cannot just up-sticks and move licketty-split.

Let us rephrase things to say "Flash is vaguely threatened in some way
which may, or may not, mean its ultimate demise some way down the road".

We've heard "XXX is dead" so many times that it gets like that chap
looking after the sheep who thought it was a big laugh to cry "Wolf".