Where does survive the inventive user ?

Nonsanity form at nonsanity.com
Mon Aug 1 11:05:28 EDT 2011

Briefly, there was Revolution Media, a FREE version of the IDE that, while
it couldn't build stand-along apps or do some of the database interfacing,
had the whole language and development environment right there at your
fingertips. Seeing that made me happy for Livecode's future. It meant that
anyone that wanted to learn to program, or had a particular task in mind and
needed something easy to implement it with... A free solution was at hand.

But that's gone now, and the best alternative is the 30-day trial, and who
can learn a whole new language (even one as easy as LC), or worse learn
programming itself, in just 30 days?

I recently started investigating the Khan Academy video library. It's a free
collection of videos (available on YouTube) teaching math, economics, and
other subjects. And that includes computer science. But they are using
Python as the language of choice, and one can see why. It's multi-platform,
its used in many environments, and it's free.

Livecode has all that, except the free entry point.

While I'm going to be using the Khan videos to help teach my daughter, for
programming, I'm going to teach her myself with Livecode.

Khan Academy has only been doing videos on Computer Science for a month now,
but the math videos have been around for a while now and have had a LOT of
eyes on them. And with talk about using them as part of public education
reform, who knows how big they will get. Imagine if all those eyes were
looking at Livecode instead of a cryptic text-only Python script...

 ~ Chris Innanen
 ~ Nonsanity