comparing content of two fields

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 11:24:38 EDT 2011

Ronald,

Peter got in before I did with a great answer: I'll follow it up with mine anyway just for a different perspective. My idea was to separate the search function from the line coloring to speed things up a little. Perhaps by now textColor can apply to variables also. I've fallen behind.

-----------------------------
---- fld "all_fld"
-----------------------------
william,a,a,a,a
kate,b,b,b,b
charles,c,c,c,c
harry,d,d,d,d

-----------------------------

---- fld "rural_fld"

-----------------------------

queen,a,a,a
kate,b,b,b,b
charles,c,c,c,c
king,d,d,d,d

-----------------------------

---- fld "output_fld"

-----------------------------

william,a,a,-,a
kate,b,b,rural,b  -- RED
charles,c,c,rural,c -- RED
harry,d,d,-,d

---------------------------------------
--- Code
-- Watch out for lines wrapping
---------------------------------------

on mouseUp
set the itemDelimiter to comma
-- instead of tab for testing and explanation

put fld "all_fld" into list_1247
put fld "rural_fld" into list_436
put cr before list_436
----------------------------
repeat for each line cur_line in list_1247
put cur_line into new_line
put item 1 of cur_line into cur_item
put cr & cur_item & comma into find_this
--------------------------------------
put "-" into item 4 of new_line
if find_this is in list_436 then
put "rural" into item 4 of new_line
end if
put new_line & cr after new_list
end repeat
put new_list into fld "output_fld"
put zero into k_count
repeat for each line k in new_list
add 1 to k_count
if "rural" is in item 4 of k then
set the textColor of line k_count of fld "output_fld" to "red"
end if
end repeat
end mouseUp