iPhone Functionality

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Apr 21 19:40:58 EDT 2011

Yes the article said all that, except for the GPS vs. the cell triangulation. That is a good thing to know btw, because in viewing the map I got the same impression, since I recently went on a trip and had that data to compare with. I also noticed that there was a long stretch of highway which had no data points. Since I was using my iPad to keep track of where I was that stretch and not my iPhone, my guess is that it only records that data when you wake up your phone and connect to the cellular network.

All the other stuff I was already aware of. Again, their point is that it stored the data on a computer where it could be easily accessed and in an unencrypted form. While I think that the Homeland Security act at the time was necessary, it would not surprise me to find that in that act there was authorization to require GPS enabled cell phone manufacturers to make their phones trackable, just in case.

I don't see the article as hysterical though. Excited, overly concerned, maybe.

Bob