SheevaPlug

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 21 16:55:02 EDT 2011

David Bovill wrote:

> Is it possible to run LiveCode on a
> Sheevaplug<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug>- which runs Ubuntu
> 9.04 - but an ARM build?

For almost the same price and a little larger form factor you can get a
nettop with an x86 that'll run LC well.

Last year I found a Lenovo Q110 on Ebay for under US$150, and I set it
up with Ubuntu 10.04 and it's doing quite well - 212 days up-time and
counting.  There's one on Ebay now with a current bid price of $56.

Most of the nettops use Atom processors which provide reasonably good
performance with low power consumption, so you not only pay relatively
little to get the computer but the ongoing operating costs are low too.

For always-on systems like file servers they can be a good option if you
need to run LiveCode on it.  Not quite as small as a ShivaPlug, but
pretty small and many models to choose from.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World