Rev/Livecode project and GPL Licenses

Chip Thomas livecode.list at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 10:44:16 EDT 2011

Thanks Scott, and as I understand it, "links" means that you compile an app that links to the GPL library so the two in effect become one codebase.

With LiveCode, your compiled app would have no "linkage" to the GPL library, but would be distributed alongside it, and the communication would occur through command line, in which case they are two separate applications, without compiled links in the technical sense.

The ramifications of this are that if the GPL license allows you to commercially distribute a LiveCode app and GPL code, as long as the two are not linked, this means LiveCode developers can tap into the many powerful GPL code libraries out there while doing so legally and ethically.