Substack Confusion

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 14 16:46:31 EDT 2011

On 4/14/11 3:58 AM, John Allijn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having some trouble with a substack. I created a mainstack (used
> as splash-screen) and a substack containing data. (mac+win
> deployment)
>
> After some trial and error I got this working, but I made the
> 'mistake' of trying to update some of the code in the substack. These
> changes work when I open my substack in livecode directly, but the
> previous version of my substack is being launched after a "go to
> stack data_stack" from within the mainstack.
>
> I deleted the link of the stack in the Standalone-preferences and
> added it again, but now I can't jump to the substack all together.
>
> What is the correct way to use a mainstack/substack combination and
> what is the best way to update either one of them if needed?

I'm a little confused about your stack setup. "Substack" has a specific
meaning in LiveCode, and refers to a stack that is embedded into the
same file on disk as the main stack. If your stack is a separate file on
disk, then it isn't really a "substack", it is a document stack or just
a "stack".

If your stack really is an actual, embedded substack, then it can't
alter itself because it is part of a standalone, and they can't be
changed after they are built. You will always see the stack in the same
state in which it was originally saved when you built the standalone.

If the stack is a separate file on disk, then it can be edited,
modified, and saved like any other app document.

Let us know how your stacks are configured and we can help.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com