When Export Snapshot doesn't work

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Thu Apr 14 04:31:13 EDT 2011

Mark, thanks for the reply, but I'm amazed that you are happy with the idea of silent failure of **any** operation.

The thing is, I'm using 'snapshot' to create the output of my app (it's a portion of a bitmap that's been chosen by my user, to simplify somewhat). If nothing appears, then I need at least to make my excuses to the user and asking him/her to try again. As it is, to detect that the operation has failed means means more code. Maybe I should be using 'crop' followed by some separate file-exporting operation: then at least I'd know by conventional means if the file couldn't be written. In general, I don't yet understand how one detects failures of operations based on URLs. But I'm a newbie in this respect.

Graham