Handle "Open Printing" dynamically

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Apr 6 21:26:23 EDT 2011

  i want to create an automated routine that digs folders with jpgs,
loads them onto cards and then prints to PDF's that have the filename of
the folder.  I will have an uber driver stack that runs the printing
stack, the uber driver will watch for each print job to complete, move
on to the next folder, get the name of the folder, open it, load the
jpgs onto cards, print to pdf, close printing and move on to the next
folder.
This seems all very simple except for the fact that

open printing to pdf

invokes a dialog that must be manually filled in and "OK'ed" before
proceeding.

Is there a way to pass the filename to the open print dialog and issue a
"continue" command

The standard open printing command normally offers no dialog or with
dialog, but open printing to pdf always invokes a dialog

There are lots of printing options and you can set just about anything
ahead of time, one of which is

set the printerOutput to {device | preview | fileSpec}

which will print to PDF on the Mac, but I need the card queue function
that the "open printing to pdf" offers so that all the cards dump to a
single pdf.

Any ideas?

Sivakatirswami