OT: Elevated admin rights or admin on Mac

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Mon Apr 4 07:18:26 EDT 2011

Tiemo,

Under any unix flavour, including Mac OS X, you can install software from any account, provided that you give the installing process admin rights (or super user rights).

A restricted user is not a standard user. The purpose of restricted users is that these accounts can't freely install applications.

You have two options:
1) tell the customer that the software can only be installed under an admin account
2) allow the user to install the software for the current user only (changing /library/preferences/MyFolder into ~/library/preferences/MyFolder).

Depending on the restrictions, a restricted user may still be unable to install software, if the installer tries to install the software for the current user only.

In your case, I'd choose option 1.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille