send vs dispatch and continuously running processes

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Thu Sep 30 09:27:04 EDT 2010

Just want to confirm I understand these commands.

I tend to write applications that run continuously. They loop over and over doing the same tasks and pretty much never get to a point to where they halt waiting for user input. Thus for me the current script never finishes executing.

The "send blah in X minutes" command appears to only execute once the current script has completed, which in my case is never. So I assume I should never use the "in X minutes" form and only ever use send as an immediate command such that the current script halts and waits for it to complete. Correct?

Dispatch looks to me like send except it makes it easier to include parameters and does not include the delay, which I cannot use anyway. Correct?

I was hoping that I could use Send or Dispatch to fire off a bunch of get URL commands and then circle back to gather their results, a form of threads or multi-tasking but from what I can see in the 4.5 docs, that is not how those functions work. Is there a way in LiveCode to spawn a bunch of processes to run in parallel and then to process their results as they get returned?

I'm assuming the answers are: Yes, Yes, No. Just want to make sure I understand them.

Kee Nethery