Mark Smith Mark_Smith at cpe.umanitoba.ca
Tue Sep 28 23:11:48 EDT 2010

Hi Splash, any further thoughts on your last questions and my post. I'm sort
of still trying to figure this compile thing out. Since I want to save the
notes in the notepad stack does that mean it cannot absolutely ever be
compiled? I am beginning to think that is my error in thinking. I was
thinking I could compile my simple Notepad application because it works fine
in the run/edit environment but apparently that does not mean it can
translate to a compiled environment.

I created a simple splash program that says:

on startup
   --   hide this stack
   --   close this stack
   --   go to stack the utargetstack of this stack
   answer "Notepad3-s"
   go to stack "/Users/Mark/runrev/stacks/Notepad/Notepad3"
end startup

on preopenstack
   -- lock screen to true
   -- set visible to false
   -- hide this stack
   answer "Notepad3-p"
   go to stack "/Users/Mark/runrev/stacks/Notepad/Notepad3"
end preopenstack

In the interpretive mode I know it is using preopenstack. But not even that
is working. Any attempt to get this program to load and run the Notepad
stack ends up doing nothing? I use Meanwhile when I manually load and run
the notepad program it works just marvellous.

This does seem to me like such a simple problem (a) I have a perfectly
functional stack (b) I would like to run it without requiring the editing
environment (or runtime environment). Compiling it as a standalone seems the
way to go. I have done that but it will not save new notes (into itself).
This is well documented. Solution is to write a "splash" program that calls
Notepad. Not working.

Also, it would be real nice not to have to "hard code" the path in case I
want to change its location. Having to manage two stacks instead of one does
seems like an added burden.

Stumped. Any help appreciated

-- Mark