SelectedChunk

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 10:21:10 EDT 2010

I'm positive this can be shortened, but as is should do what you want. It
could be simplified greatly of course if you are forcing only whole word
selections, but this will account for partial word selects, and also just an
insertion point.
*
on mouseUp
   -- Determine if there is actually a selection of more than 1 char
   if word 2 of the selectedchunk - word 4 of the selectedchunk < 0 then
      put word 2 of the selectedchunk into tChar
   else
      put word 4 of the selectedchunk into tChar
   end if

   -- Determine if the selection is already on a word boundary.
   --if so determine which word the break is at.
   if char tChar of field 1 is space then
      put true into tCharMatch
      put char 1 to tChar of field 1 into tTmp
      put"Word: " & the number of words  in tTmp + 1 into tWord
   end if

   -- if a match hasn't been found yet, and we're not at the field start
   -- nudge 1 char left and check for word break. Repeat until top of field
or match
   repeat while tChar > 1 and tCharMatch is empty
      subtract 1 from tChar
      if char tChar of field 1 is space then
         put true into tCharMatch
         put char 1 to tChar of field 1 into tTmp
         put "Word: " & the number of words in tTmp + 1 into tWord
      else if tChar = 0 then
         --if we reach the start of the field, must be the first word
         put "Word: 1" into tWord
      end if
   end repeat

 answer information tWord