Full support for executionContexts (was Re: Which stack called the library stack ?)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Sep 24 19:14:42 EDT 2010

Dar-

> On Sep 24, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

>>> I wish that RunRev would bless the format of the property or provide
>>> other properties or functions that provide context information.
>>
>> I do too, but it's deep in the bowels of the engine, so changing it is
>> likely to break everything. I rather count on it not disappearing or
>> changing enough to cause damage.

> By removing the offending paragraph in the executionContexts
> dictionary entry, RunRev would effectively be making a commitment to
> including descriptions of any changes to the value in the engine
> revision report for new versions.  Or at least apply as much
> diligence in doing so as they would for any other property.

> I think this is a reasonable thing to ask for.

I, on the other hand, think that reserving the right to make changes
to the format is a good thing. And given that, I think the warning
paragraph in the documentation is to the point: "go ahead and use
this, but note that the format may change in the future". But I do
like your first suggestion, that RunRev bless and document the format.
Since it's the only way to get this information, telling people to use
it seems a bit dodgy, even though it *is* listed in the docs.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net