Scripts that are already running

DunbarX at aol.com DunbarX at aol.com
Fri Sep 24 13:15:54 EDT 2010

Jacques, et al.

The "wait with messages", which I know about, is compact and cool. But that
code needs to reside within the running handler. As do, in their own way,
all the other comments from everyone. For example, BonnMike notes you can
read the state of a property while a handler is running. Certainly you can, but
only from within the handler.

I was asking if any state of the machine can be accessed from outside a
running handler. I read from all the responses, as I thought, that it cannot.

Say a variable is gettinig incremented in a repeat loop. Its state changes
as the loop progresses. Can this state be returned to the engine from some
externally running process, one that would be able to monitor handler
variables on the fly. It would require, essentially, that the handler be
interrupted continuously. I don't think this is part of the xTalk world. I am not sure
about other procedural languages.

This all came about because someone wanted a single universal watchdog on
his stack. He had several handlers in several places, all of which could
create a condition he wanted to act upon. So the "send in time" handler fit that
bill. If he created yet another such handler somewhere, it would be
covered. But it occurred to be that if the condition was met and the handler still
had much to do and might take a long time to do it, then the condition could
not be dealt with until that handler ends. It seemed intriguing to think
that something could monitor, say, the state of variables, from outside the
handler while it was running.

Anyone think this is a useful, perhaps monumental, feature?

Craig