I feel betrayed

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:15:48 EDT 2010

  On 09/22/2010 11:01 PM, Marty Billingsley wrote:
> Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  On 09/21/2010 10:47 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:
>>> Have all your copies of revMedia stopped working? Is it not still
>>> possible to let kids use it for free? There may be some future need
>>> that requires having an updated version, but for now revMedia is as
>>> good as it was two days ago.
>>>

>> This is an extremely valid point.
>>
>> BUT; where do we point those kids to when they want to have a copy of
>> RevMedia on their PC at home?
>
> Not to mention putting in effort to create curriculum centered around
> a free platform that won't be free any more.

I have taught a Summer "course" in my language school (18 kids) every
year for the last 5 years
using RunRev on Linux. With the advent of RevMedia free it was suddenly
something so much
bigger than kids trying to get to grips with programming for 90 minutes
twice a week as they were
able to run home with their projects on flash drives; download RevMedia
(usually for Windows) and carry
on working; come back to school; show me with great pride that they had
spent the time they usually
wasted on watching cartoons on something of lasting value, and so on.

But, hey, we have all heard RunRev's protestations about their interest
in investing in Education
over the years, and it has been 'patchy'. The 10-line restricted code
model went by the wayside, then
last year we all got excited about RevMedia, and here we are again.

But if one thinks of the following 'mantra' ALL will be revealed:

Runtime Revolution, Dreamcard, Enterprise, RevMedia, Studio, LiveCard . . .

it helps if one visualises a sinusoidal curve at the same time . . .
:)  Sorry, no seasickness
pills allowed.