GOOSE BUMPS

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 22 09:05:59 EDT 2010

Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> http://www.ries.com/articles-positioningera.php

Excellent article.

"Google", "Yahoo", "Twitter", even "Kodak" are all colossally stupid
names; for the reasons that article points, out positioning is about far
more than names.

The product experience is what people buy, and what they talk about.

This post from earlier this morning echoes perhaps the most
frequently-cited challenge in learning LiveCode, and perhaps the biggest
opportunity for enhancing the product experience and therefore its
mindshare:

<http://mail.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2010-September/145768.html>

Programming languages are different from toasters or any other consumer
product.  They have unique challenges, and the size and scope of the
ecosystem plays an uncommonly strong role in perceptions of a
programming tool's worthiness.  Developers need to know they don't have
to reinvent every wheel.

The more prefab components included in the out-of-the-box experience,
the more empowering the tool will be.  When sufficiently empowering, the
buzz will take care of the branding organically; conversely, even the
best branding in the world can't make up the difference if that
empowerment is lacking.  Branding can help lead to downloads, but only
the product experience can lead to conversion.

Mark Stuart raised some of these issues in our last local Rev User Group
meeting, and I'm looking forward to exploring them further in our next
one tomorrow night.

For all the benefits of LiveCode, a few other tools still have some
significant advantages in being able to assemble great data-rich GUIs
quickly.  We'd like to see what we can do to help close that gap,
perhaps as a project through the Rev Interoperability Project (RIP).

Here's one small corner of that problem:  data input validation.  A
great many apps need it, but input masking and validation must currently
be scripted by hand, while most DBs provide them as simple properties.

One of the RIP initiatives is to provide a common behavior object that
can be assigned to fields, set a property or two, and masking and
validation would happen automatically.

This initiative could use some help; most of us have been busy with our
own products.  If anyone here would like to lend a hand you're very
welcome to join in:

The code will be released as either public domain or MIT license, so
this may be a good starting point for those interested in furthering
FOSS goals in the LiveCode ecosystem, a relatively small task in which
the process can be refined leading the way to bigger initiatives, and
the output from which would be enormously valuable right now.

> By the way, when this thread started some days
> ago, i searched for livecode in google and runrev
> webpage appears in 7th position. Today is 5th.
> This is really good.

If the prospect already knows your name and is sufficiently motivated to
search for it, most of the job is already done and they will find you no
matter what your name is:

http://www.google.com/search?q=revolution+programming

Search engine optimization is the challenge of helping people who don't
yet know who you are to find you:

http://www.google.com/search?q=rapid+application+development

Relevant backlinks, keyword-based domains, domain longevity, appropriate
keyword richness, and consistent keyword usage in backlinks help make
that happen.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World