Invisible HTMLText Character?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Sep 22 03:54:01 EDT 2010

Recently, Jacque Landman Gay wrote:

> You're right, it doesn't support tables. But there's the firstIndent
> property. I wonder if you could set that to a negative number (which
> would give you an outdent) and then when the line wraps, it would indent
> -- if you know what I mean.

Yeah, something like this appears as a user-entered tip in the docs.  I'll
try this out.  Thanks.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone has put together a reasonable text
editing routine/method/function that uses a separate text formatting
palette.

I'm using the method of setting the backColor of selected text to create a
fake text selection, and I'm getting all kinds of weird selection
behavior/colorizing issues when dealing with multiple lines.  I've been
fighting with this for hours now, and for the life of me, I can't figure out
a recipe that reliably adds a fake hilite to selected lines of text, allows
colorizing and formatting of the selected text (while keeping the fake
hilite intact), maintaining the hilite when switching back and forth between
the main stack and the text palette, and eventually removing the fake
hilite.

I can't even get the fake hilite to match the real text selection because
setting the backColor of the text results in a colored field that has
different dimensions than a real text selection.

If anyone has already done something like I would really appreciate seeing
how you did it.

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director