Web Deployment

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Tue Sep 21 09:08:25 EDT 2010

On 21 September 2010 12:28, -=>JB<=- <sundown at pacifier.com> wrote:

> I think it is the On-Rev package that has been offered
> for quite some time now and many have purchased
> it already so if they continue to develop it more will
> likely purchase it and with the right improvements
> it can exceed their sales expectations.

That would make sense - On-Rev has (commercial) potential, but I don't think
it is the case. If you look at the Standalone Settings (I am viewing it with
a trial license) - the Web settings that allow you to create a revWeb plugin
has the option to purchase a $199 upgrade - I assume this is in order to let
you make these plugins as this export option has nothing to do with using
On-Rev. It is not clear, if you can make them for non-commercial use, but it
looks like the standalone builder will stop making revWeb plugins after the
trial expires?

Personally I can (sort of) imagine people paying $30 for the ability to make
revWeb plugins - I really don't get this $199 pricing. The rest seems
logical to me, and I do very much like the branding LiveCode, but it seems
the current pricing strategy will have two clear outcomes:

   1. It will clobber Linux sales - I think the bundles would be better
   Mac+Linux and Windows+Linux.
   2. Deter future revWeb plugin development when it becomes clear how many
   people will pay for it as an isolated feature.