DataGrid Optimization question

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Sun Sep 19 05:45:47 EDT 2010

.. and as you mention such a datagrid dataObject should allow the standard
find to find it's elements.. or provide an extended find function, like the
one I put up on revOnline (which only works for datagrids with cached mode
turned on).

The way datagrids are being used is interesting.

1) datagrids are the most tangible evolution of the runrev IDE and that was
needed to stay in touch with what other "modern" languages are providing

THis evolution started with the more frequent usage of properties as data
containers.... away from the hypercard metaphore (all the data is in fields
within cards and "find" finds it all..).

2) it is a big step AWAY from the hypercard metaphore, because for the first
time... the find does not work anymore on data that is created using a
standard object palette.. whouaouu... that is biiiigg!

4) so to move ahead and stay coherent with the hypercard metaphor, runrev
does need a dataObject which is CONSISTENT (visible like datagrids, or not
visible like datagrids without the group & fields overhead, working with
find). What do people around think about that?? (I can only hope that runrev
listens to that if I'm not alone thinking that aloud..)

5) and Yes, I heard you.. think aloud.. but that is "4D" and runrev is not
4D nor "fileMaker". why not??? Would it be SO DIFFICULT to implement a
minimal data object that would work like BENTO, but right inside runrev???
is'nt it already nearly there with datagrids???

I wonder if any of us tried doing some relationnal dbase kind of stuff with
datagrids!!!???

P.S : Josh : what sepearate data source do you use to feed datagrids with??
thanks