RevIgniter -- Incorporating Existing CMS-Static Content

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Sep 18 13:39:00 EDT 2010

  Ralf, thank you for your great contribution in the form of revIgniter.
I downloaded and installed it on our site, and actually ran thru some
tutorials. My only problem was that we have an existing site where the
CMS is already carefully organized for static pages

I installed revIgniter in a top level directory called

/aum/

to be very generic for future use, but now we have huge content (static
content 80,000 plus pages on this one site alone) in existing structure
like this;

/audio  # all things having to do with audio
/images
/donations  # all forms and templates for incoming $
/podcasts
/resources # all static books, translations of books and video
/ssc           # all matter have to do with our institution as a
geographic place(s)
   /hawaii
   /mauritius
   /srilanka
   /usa  # etc.
/study  # international correspondence
/teaching # all things generic to teaching children, parenting etc.

The DOM on these pages is very simple: we use SSI to pull in head and
footer and I just a revcgi exec include to pull in side bar links which
vary depending on the "realm" where the page lives.

Now my new project has to launch by Oct 1 and I could not wrap my brain
around beginning a new site area inside Revigniter in time. I can see
the great value of the MVC framework for interactive web apps, but until
I can grok how to incorporate the existing static content, which is very
well organized by category of content such that any of our staff can
find things just by thinking like a "normal human being" about the
content and fold names. Andre says we can link to external content with
root relative links... I tried asking revIgniter to treat and external
page as a view... it works already by since it is not delivered by
Apache, the SSI's are not implemented and they appear with no header,
footer or side bar links. So, I would either have to convert them to
iRev pages and convert SSI to this:
<?rev
   put url "file:/home/himalayan/public_html/ssi/site_wide_nav.html"
   ?>

<?rev put url "file:../../ssi/ha_footer.html"?>
or write some kind of run time parser, translator to take existing
apache SSI:

<!--#include virtual="/ssi/site_wide_nav.html" -->

and convert to what I have above, run time...

At that point I stopped with revIgniter and went and am building a new
area  (fund raising campaign) now in the old structure:

/donations/
    /ddd