OT: Insights on Android Tablet

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Fri Sep 17 12:50:09 EDT 2010

On 9/17/2010 at 11:21 AM, Mark Rauterkus wrote:
> Interesting article on pending and looming Android tablet / iPad
> competitor from Bloomberg.
>
>http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-16/google-android-tablets-to-surpass-apple-ipad-helped-by-wider-availability.html

A few early Android tablets have already been shipping direct from several
small shops in Hong Kong.  They are not backed by brand names, so support
is very limited.  I have tried a couple of them since they are very
inexpensive in comparison with the iPad.  I first tried the Eken M001, and
it was made of cheap thin plastic which got very hot near the battery.  My
current one has a metal enclosure, but can't be upgraded beyond Android
1.5, which it runs VERY well. I have the iRobot Apad (looks like a half
scale iPad). The iRobot Apad has a 7" resistive touchscreen, so you have to
press slightly harder than on the iPad.  Where the iRobot Apad really
shines is playing video and audio media. I got a little case/stand for it
which makes it a joy for watching movies, playing mp3s, listening to
streaming music over wifi. The iRobot Apad has the Google Market app
installed, so it has access to thousands of apps, but again it can only use
the ones compatible with 1.5. Now, there is already a newer model that runs
Android 2.1, and there is a 10" screen version as well.  The original
company is at http://hiapad.com/  but I got mine at
http://www.merimobiles.com/ .  Sorry for sounding like an infomercial, but
I really do love my Apad.  Oh, and the case is super high quality from
http://www.houseofdap.com/elegant-case-with-stand-for-moonse-apad-irobot-7-inch-by-doberskin.html.

Even though the subject was [OT], to come back on-topic, I bought this
BECAUSE of the announcement that revMobile would be focussing its efforts
on Android.

~Roger