Slow launch times on Windows 7

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 11:42:00 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:03 AM, tekne <tekne at gruppoparentesi.it> wrote:

> > * Is there network activity during launch?
> No. To test, I remove any script in the startup process. (I don't have any
> handler in the main stack and in the only cd (splashscreen) of the main
> stack.)

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm not really talking about network activity
directed by the application, as opposed to network activity that is
happening as a consequence of launching the application at all. Try a
networking monitoring program. I'm sure there are free/shareware versions
out there, but something like Solar Winds' Orion Network Performance
Monitor. The concern is that it is a setting in the OS. For example, launch
an application, and it sends off a request to Microsoft to check a database
for whether or not the application is "okay" or not (again, that's just a
crazy example). If there is activity, a network monitor/packet sniffer will
let you know what application is doing it, what site it's hitting, and what
data is being sent.

> > * Are there are lot of files being accessed at application startup?
> No file accessed

This is the same as the network monitoring. Something like FileMon. Rev
loads DLLs on startup, and it's possible that opening those is causing a
problem, or the act of opening them is causing network activity or they are
doing something else when being loaded. Probably not, but it's an easy test
to confirm.

There are also process monitoring tools out there that you can use to test
the same things. Just launch your app and watch the process monitor. Are 20
new processes launched all doing something very suspicious under the hood
that you just can't see?

Sorry none of the other suggestions panned out for you, though. :-(

Jeff M.