Slow launch times on Windows 7

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Sep 15 14:14:08 EDT 2010

A customer has contacted tech support about an issue we can't solve, so
I'd like to know if anyone else here has experienced it and what they
did to fix it.

The problem is very slow launch times of standalones on Windows 7, of up
to a minute or more. It doesn't happen on any earlier versions of Windows.

We had one other customer report the same thing, but it only occured on
a small number of his Windows customer machines, and he solved it by
reinstalling Win7 on those machines. His theory was that the Dells
shipped with some setting that a reinstall changed. A Google query shows
that lots of people are having similar slow launch problems on Win7 with
other apps as well, so it isn't just a Rev problem. Many report that
defragging the hard drive fixes it, but in this customer's case it did
not. The customer says if he reduces the file size by removing all
substacks, launch times improve -- which would seem to support the
defrag theory (fewer bytes to find,) but it didn't work for him. He is
not running a virus scanner that would interfere.

Has anyone else encountered the problem? Were you able to solve it?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com