Real Basic Web edition - No Plugin Required!

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Wed Sep 15 09:45:00 EDT 2010

On 15 September 2010 14:08, AndyP <smudge.andy at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that Real Basic are about to launch a web edition.
> Went to their site expecting a web plugin requirement and found this:
>
> 'REAL Studio Web Edition apps run as a FastCGI on Apache.' !
>
> http://www.realsoftware.com/web/ http://www.realsoftware.com/web/
>
> No plugin so works on most default Apache set ups. As it's a cgi it will
> work on Ipad, Iphone and most browsers.
>
> Now I'm not a Real Basic fan but have to say that having the web version to
> output FastCGI is pretty neat.
>
> Surely this is a better way for RunRev to go for the web and avoid plugins
> altogether. Wouldn't this open up the uses and market for RunRev?

Yes - I'd have to agree with you. Luckily we can get the same experience by
working with Revolution and Rodeo <http://rodeoapps.com/>. RunRev should
never have put development effort into a plugin, it was always more sensible
to develop integrated revServer / JavaScript solutions, but this is not a
solution that RunRev with it's focus on the engine fully appreciated - I've
never felt they got the web. Of course some people love the plugin, it makes
me smile too, and only the future will truly tell - in 2 years time will we
be looking at a rich range of web apps using JavaScript, HTML / HTML5 as
their front ends or will lots of us be using a web plugin?