how to totally make Kevin's day

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 14 08:36:20 EDT 2010

Bob Sneidar wrote:

> Well it's not like that at all. It's more like she promised not
> to use the credit card, and then did anyway. After her husband
> got upset she took the stuff back and got a refund. Is her husband
> now justified in being angry that she got the refund? THAT is what
> it is like.

Please keep in mind that RevMobile (like Flash and the rest) was fully
compliant with Apple's SDK license version 1, 2, and 3, and was only
redefined as "criminal" very late in the game with v4.

Given that, it's more like the husband told her to use the credit card,
drove her to the mall, helped her pick out a dress, and only got mad
when she took it to the counter.

But I agree that this metaphor is a bit stretched for the circumstance
it describes.

Among the other ways it breaks down, I don't believe the decision to
remove the "originally written in" clause came from Jobs at all.

We may never know the backstory on how Apple's iOS SDK license returned
to sanity from the darkly lame weirdness it had devolved into. I'm just
glad it did.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World