how to totally make Kevin's day

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 14:13:28 EDT 2010

  On 9/13/10 8:40 PM, Jim Schaubeck wrote:
> Apple's decision may be good news for Runrev but I hope their change of
> heart does not distract Runrev from cleaning up RevWeb and releasing
> it...please?  It just stinks having to use all of these 'groups' vs multiple
> stacks.  The option menu's need help too.  RevWeb is such a great
> feature...just needs some clean-up.

Funnily enough, I am extremely grateful to the fact that RevWeb was
"crappy" at the start:

I tried to release a version of my Devawriter as a web-let (Cor! Naive
as a cabbage!); and fell
well foul of the substacks SNAFU.

Went away and "thunk" a lot.

Tried again where all those substacks were implemented as cards.

Fairly awful . . .

Tried again where each substack/card was implemented as a layer of
images where the vis was
tripped back and forth.

Awful revlet . . . but

Significantly more efficient stack to turn into normal standalones.

A long time ago I tried programming on my BBC Micro Master Compact, and,
with
96k RAM, no hard-disk (well, to be honest, I knew what a tape drive was,
but a hard-disk; give
me a break), and Yay-small floppies, one had to do marvels in a minimum
of incredibly
economic code.

Now that we are in the age of bloat-ware, we forget those virtues.

"Crappy" RevWeb forced me to return to them, and for that I will always
be grateful.