Menu Accelerators - help!

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Sep 5 22:29:43 EDT 2010

  For some reason, I've never been able to get menu accelerator keys to
work as expected.

the dictionary entry on this makes sense, but could use some examples.
Seems straight forward enough...

The syntax for menu item strings is:
   [<flags>] <label> ['/' <accelerator> ['|' <tag>]]

where <accelerator>

would be, in my case: <modifiers> <char>

A very common requirement is Find and Find Again. This looks correct to me:

Find/^ F
Find Again/^G

The menu shows the cmd symbol (os x) and the letter, but cmd-f does
nothing but invoke the IDE's find dialog; if I turn of development
tools, it still does not work.  I tried these, since the IDE does not
use them... as a test...

Find/^U
Find Again/^L

But they are still unresponsive... and, if you enter an upper case
character, does that mean the user has to use the shift key to make it
work? I tried both, cmd-shift-U and cmd-U.

neither work.

What am I missing?  Will these *only* work in a standalone?

Thanks
Sivakatirswami