Observations on Unicode, RunRev and Operating Systems

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 03:43:15 EDT 2010

On 09/04/2010 01:00 AM, Kee Nethery wrote:

> I'm no unicode expert and I applaud your efforts. I see two possible places for a bug in unicode for the stack you have provided: Mac OS X, or the user installed Sanskrit font.
>
> Might you have an example that uses any of the fonts that come bundled with Mac OS X? That would rule out the user installed font as the problem and point directly to the OS. If you could provide such an example, I could absolutely file it in the Apple bug system.
>
> If the bug only occurs with the provided Sanskrit font, do you have a unicode organization recognized validator (kind of like http://validator.w3.org/) that would indicate that the provided Sanskrit font passes all validations imposed by the standard. Again, if there is a way to prove the font is 100% valid, and there are display problems on the Mac OS X, I could file that bug in the Apple bug system.
>
> Kee Nethery (who is a neophyte Unicode user)

Just uploaded a new version that uses "Sathu.ttf", a Unicode font from
the Mac OS Tiger install disk.

I have bundled "Sathu" in the zip file [Ouch, Steve will be after me] to
sabe all of you the bother
of overloading your system with fonts you don't need, and for those of
you who want to try the stack
on other operating systems.

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/STUFF/Daft_Unicode.zip

Methinks Scott hath too much faith in Mac OS . . .  :)

sincerely, Richmond.