[OT] Browsing the internet... It is safer from Linux?

Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
Sun Oct 31 16:07:55 EDT 2010

> Roger.E.Eller wrote:
>> It is in many cases the virus makers themselves who infect Windows,
>> and then use FAKE anti-virus messages that offer to cleanse your
>> machine "for a fee".

Richard Gaskin replied:

> URL?
>
> I'm sometimes prone to notions that seem conspiratorial myself, but
> while this meme has been floating around for a few years I've not yet
> been able to find any actual case where this has been demonstrated to
> have happened.

No no no no...  I said VIRUS MAKERS, not ANTI-virus makers.  One of the
most common viruses is called "Anti-Virus 2010", which spoofs a window to
look almost identical to a real antivirus window.  No conspriacy, just
tricky devils.  Google it, but be careful, some of the rusults can lead you
to an infecting site.

~Roger