[OT] Browsing the internet... It is safer from Linux?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sun Oct 31 14:12:28 EDT 2010

It's probably about a yearly hacking contest, where boxes are setup and then people are invited to hack them. Mac OS X did indeed succumb most quickly there in the last few years. In addition there has been reports of one infection in the wild that uses java, and is able to run on mac os as well as on windows.

Windows is protected by UAC, Antivirus, and windows defender. I'd argue that in everyday environments, windows is actually better secured then mac os and maybe on even footing with linux. On the flipside, it's also the most likely one to be targeted. Because most infections for people like us come in randomly, the risk of having a crisis is therefore far bigger on windows.

I do have a windows machine, and I consider it the insecure one, compared to my unpatched mac os  x server and my everyday machine. Linux is too hard to use for me, so I can't comment much on that, beyond it probably not being the target of anyone with it's almost inexistent market share among non-tech oriented users.

--

official ChatRev page:
http://bjoernke.com?target=chatrev

Chat with other RunRev developers: