the siglum key ???

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 03:34:10 EDT 2010

Ugh; Apple, not content with hiding the # key from people on the East
side of the Atlantic
have also been playing "silly buggers" with the physical layout of
keyboards:

For instance:

My non-American (this includes my English & Arabic Mac keyboard)
keyboards have a
siglum key in the top-left corner = rawKeyDown 0, and American keyboards
have a
"funny apostrophe" key in the same place = rawKeyDown 96.  rawKeyDown 96 on
the non-American keyboards is snuggled down left of the Z key.

For virtual keyboard people (like myself) working with LiveCode this is
a right pox as, frankly, the thought of trying to set up some sort of
keyboard
detection routine followed by a "dance of the vampires" sort of arrangement
whereby various buttons would merrily shift their position depending on
the keyboard
layout gives me the willies . . .

Err . . . anybody know a way, within LiveCode/RunRev to detect an end-user's
physical keyboard?????

Francophones get a free "word study" exercise with most of my postings .
. .  :)

NOW; in your livres vocabulaires, s'il vous plait?

1. Pox

2. Willies

3. Silly Buggers

4. Snuggle down

and may you all curse me for the hoofdpijn . . .  :)