[OT] Mac App Store

Chipp Walters chipp at altuit.com
Sun Oct 24 16:17:38 EDT 2010

Lynn,

An issue which may be interesting, especially considering Apple's recent foray into the Mac AppStore.

<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323362/Apple-court-claims-teen-models-steamy-pictures-used-consent.html?ITO=1490>

It appears Apple is being sued because of an iPhone app contained illegal images. I always wondered about implied liability: If it's Apple's store, Apple's license, Apple's DRM, and Apple's customer, then who is liable when something like this happens?

We all know any decent programmer could create an app with a trojan that pops up a "VOTE FOR MY CANDIDATE" window this November-- which could never be detected by the AppStore geniuses. So, who's legally at fault?

I guess this upcoming lawsuit may provide a hint, except I'm sure Apple will settle it out of court with terms not to be disclosed.