[OT] Mac App Store

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 14:13:42 EDT 2010

On 10/21/2010 09:00 PM, Peter Brigham MD wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Richmond wrote:

>>> Maybe.   The research of Nils Bejerot, Stanley Milgram, and others
>>> portray a complexity in human nature that may be too
>>> multidimensional for such rational optimism.
>>>
>>> ;)
>>>
>> Aah . . . Stanley Milgram; what a guy! I did a year's basic
>> Psychology at university too;
>> several of my firends thought it would be fun to wire the Prof. up to
>> a Milgram device
>> and do things for real . . .  :)
>
> A little-known factoid, even further off-topic: one of Milgram's
> youngest and most vulnerable undergraduate research subjects was
> extremely damaged by Milgram's emotionally abusive experiments. He
> grew up to become...
>
> ... the Unibomber.
>
> Karma.
>
> -- Peter

One wonders quite why Stanley Milgram was able to get away with that
sort of experiment in the
first place?

And just to make things more awkward; one of the topics I had to think
about as an Undergraduate Philosophy student at Durham in 1983 was
whether it was ethical to use the published findings of
Dr Mengele's experiments in the Nazi death-camps for future work. What
is interesting is that
certain biologists and medics did use his findings; their argument being
that as those results would,
obviously, be unobtainable in today's ethical (??????????) environment,
it was acceptable to use them
if they could be used to prevent further human suffering.

Being a "naughty chap" I wrote to a friend of my history teacher, a
woman who had had experiments
performed on her by Mengele when she was a child (and, unusually, she
survived) to find out her
opinion. She stated that they should be used as in some tiny way this
made up for all the suffering
those poor people had to go through.