Franklin Audio Intro Pricing Ends Soon; New Testable Too!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 18 13:25:42 EDT 2010

Ben Rubinstein wrote:
> I did a project deployed on about 75 custom-made solid-state computers,
> and the only reason we had to use Windows (which added about $120 to
> the price for each unit)...

I used to wonder where I can get a machine without an OS preinstalled,
and here's a shopping tip which apparently you know but I just learned a
few days ago at my local Linux user group:

With Dell and HP (and maybe a few others), if you buy through the
business section you can specify that the computer come with no OS
installed, and this usually knocks off about $100 or so from the
purchase price.

This option isn't advertised in the normal consumer section, where to
get their "good" pricing with Microsoft they're required to put up a
silly banner that says "We recommend Windows 7" or some such.

My last purchase was a Dell laptop, and I've been impressed with the
good performance and solid construction of the machine.  I got that one
second-hand, but now that I know how to get OS-less computers from Dell
my next one will probably be from them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World