on-rev database help

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Sun Oct 17 19:11:35 EDT 2010

On Oct 16, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Bill Ziegler wrote:

> I'm not even sure if I'm asking the question correctly.
>
> I've made a simple time tracking database for my colleagues. Dates, fill-ins, drop downs etc. I'm not using any of the sophisticated Rev DB tools or SQL. I am just saving each collection of responses in separate fields. I also have a button that exports as a text file all info with records on separate lines, commas between items. Each teacher keeps their own stack on their laptop. When our supervisor needs to do a report for the school districts, each of the 13 teacher/consultants will generate the data-text file and send it to her. She will then import each text file into excel to do her sorts and reports.
>
> Every time she needs to do an update, she'll need to ask us to send our latest data and create a new excel to keep the data correct. I do have an on-rev server account. I did attend and have the dvds for rev-live Las Vegas. I do own the DVDs from the On-Rev Edinburgh conference, but haven't had time to watch them yet. I know RunRev/Live Code fairly well. I do not know SQL.
>
> Questions
>
> 1. Can I put my existing stack on my on-rev server account for multiple people to use at one time?
>
> 2. Can I put my existing stack on our school server for multiple people to use at one time?
>
> 3. Am i up-that-creek for not knowing SQL?
>
> 4. If (I) and (2) are possible with or without SQL what's my best option to learn how to do whatever I'll need to do.

Hi Bill,

The basics of SQL are not at all difficult to learn, if you decide to go that route. Jacque and I covered them in the Edinburgh conference Day 0 session, which should be on the DVD. I also did an expanded version of the same material in my class last winter. The notes are still online at http://revolution.byu.edu. Just click the Introduction to Programming in Rev link, then scroll down to the section on Database Access in Rev. Immediately above that section are some links to server-side scripting using Rev. One of those links deals with doing database access in irev scripts.

True, there is a bit of a learning curve when using backend databases, but once you figure it out, your life will never be the same. Database access opens up a whole world of new possibilities.

Good luck!

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University