Constant command

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Oct 14 19:38:23 EDT 2010

Well I was thinking more in terms of low level file I/O. Let's say I need to have a rev stack creating files at a low level on a server, for back end integration into something else. Those files will be accessed by another platform, let's say unix. If I terminated my lines with lf & cr, I would in effect only be creating two line feeds.

It's not a big deal now that I know, because I can create my own constants and use them instead of the built in ones. And the dictionary is clear on this, so it would be my fault. It's just an unexpected quirk that a Carriage Return constant that *should* mean ASCII 13 on ALL platforms and Line Feed constant that *should* mean ASCII 10 on All platforms, means different things depending on Livecode and what it's running on.

LiveCode or it's predecessors could have done all the internal conversions and still left these constants what you would expect them to be. That is just my opinion. I just don't think a keyword in any language should mean different things unless it's obvious.

Bob