determining if user has shell access

Florian von Walter fvwalter at web.de
Thu Oct 14 11:44:34 EDT 2010

 Monte,

the shell under Windows is cmd.exe which usually is located in
C:\Windows\system32 for most recent versions of Windows.
This path (i.e. "C:\Windows") is actually dependent on systems and
locales so there is an environment variable "WINDIR" which returns the
path on the current system. There is also a Windows registry variable
that points to the Windows directory but it is easier to access the
environment.
The correct way to determine if you have permissions to execute shell
scripts then is probably to find out if you have execute access to
%WINDIR%\system32\cmd.exe. This usually involves some Win32 API
massaging messing around with ACLs.
Maybe it suffices to open %WINDIR%\system32\cmd.exe as a file for
read-only access to see if you can access cmd.exe.

Regards, Florian