[ANN] slotmachine iPhone was scrolling wheel

BNig niggemann at uni-wh.de
Sun Oct 10 15:35:31 EDT 2010

Jacque and all the people that liked the slot machine thank you.

>From the logs I see that a lot of members of the list downloaded the
examples. This I think this is a sign that many are interested in the
RevMobile Thing.

As far as Scott Rossis stack momentum scroll is concerned: I too admire his
approach and had a hard look at it before I ventured on the slot machine. As
a matter of fact during the design of the interface I thought of Scott: how
would he have done it, and: Scott would see right away the subtleties and
can pull some graphic trick to mimic them.

But I think it is too early to have libraries for RevMobile. Or put another
way if libraries they would have to be tested on the actual devices because
RevMobile behaves differently on the devices than in the IDE or the
simulator. Once RevMobile stabiiizes as far as features and speed is
concerned one could start to make libraries. RevMobile is currently prealpha
10. And for prealpha it works amazingly well.

The slot machine has an endlessly scrolling field but does not leave the
boundaries of the field. I did see no easy way to work that into Scott's
library/behavior. Or the list field for the iPhone. It requires not only
momentum but also to deselect when scrolling and select when touching it.
Hard to write a generic library for momentum and incorporate all the
different iPhone controls into that.

At present I prefer to write different scripts for different type of
controls. I have to tweak them for them to work on an iPhone 3G and an iPad
with trade offs on both. And I am still experimenting with all this as I
guess everybody who uses RevMobile does.

Regarding RevOnline: I also think it is the best place to put working
examples for RevMobile.

best regards

Bernd Niggemann