shell command to identify wireless printer

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 13:30:31 EDT 2010

The availablePrinters shows the list of printers you have named and
have drivers for -- it's what appears in the print dialog list, from
which you choose the printer you want to use. I want to know
automatically which printer my laptop is connected to at the moment so
I can bypass the print dialog entirely and send all printing to that
printer. I have a handler that detects which printer I'm plugged into
using USB and sets the printer to that automatically, but I'm trying
to expand it to include connected wireless printers on the network.

I think this capability should ideally be built into the OS for all
laptops -- I can't be the only one who uses my laptop with different
printers in different locations. Having to choose the proper printer
every time I change venues should be unnecessary, it should be pretty
easy for the system to do it for me, at least as an option in the
printing preferences. In the absence of a system fix, I can at least
build it into my Rev (er, LiveCode) projects.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig