[OT} (slightly) Anyone knows an affordable HD recovery service?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Oct 5 19:29:27 EDT 2010

Well I am getting in on this late, but it all depends on whether or not you can get the drive to show up at all in Disk Utility. You should have the installer disks that came with your Mac, so if you don't have another bootable OS X volume you can use that.

Now the question is, does the Mac see a partition? If the disk does not show up at all in Disk Utility, or if Disk Utility cannot see a partition, then I do not think that Diskwarrior can recover that. I do not think any software can recover the drive if the actual drive itself is not visible to the hardware.

So now you are looking at either a clean room disassembly and recovery, which can be dicey especially in the case of a head crash, or else you may find someone who can replace the controller on the drive (if that is the problem) at which point the data should be fully recoverable, assuming no physical damage has been done.

You may be able to send the drive into the manufacturer and for a fee get them to replace the controller. I am not sure if all the manufacturers will do this for you, but I know a few of them will. Just specify that you do NOT want the data erased. They may even do a recovery for you.

So it just depends on what is wrong. If the drive has to be disassembled in a clean room, you are likely to have to lose limbs if you want your data back. Otherwise, there are some options that are fairly economical.

Bob