MySQL and open source

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Sat Nov 27 08:10:33 EST 2010

On 11/27/10 2:42 PM, "Björnke von Gierke" <bvg at mac.com> wrote:

>  I suspect that MySQL has this weird and confusing licensing scheme to fear
> people into buying the product. They even say so on their site: "To anyone in
> doubt, we recommend the commercial license. It is never wrong."

Exactly, here I agree with you. :-)

And even worse, somebody told me that mySQL AB did aggressive sues against
some mySQL users.

May be Oracle is a more kind company?  :-)
After they have pay billion (9 zeros, not million) of cache for mySQL...

May be somebody (as me) understand that they need now return that back.
And even get profit.

>> I have found that page.
>>     http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing//commercial-license.html
>>
>> quotes:
>>
>>> Typical examples of MySQL distribution include:
>>>
>>> Selling software that requires customers to install MySQL themselves on
>>> their
>>> own machines.
>

> So we'd all need to pay Oracle for using RunRev (which does not work with
> MySQL databases unless one installs a version of MySQL somewhere)?

Don't ask me :)

I am not layer to give final answer. And I am not owner of mySQL.
My only point only is:

    * for non-GPL apps mySQL usage is under very confused licenses
        and comments. So claims it is so easy free can be very danger.

FOR EXAMPLE, google easy can show you such stories:

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology