[Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Fri Nov 26 17:11:13 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 7:54 PM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> On 11/26/10 12:49 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:
>

>> http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/fotos/2010/11/veja-fotos-dos-carros-incendiados-no-rio.html
>>
>> strong pictures, be aware.
>>

> I couldn't live that way. Please stay safe, Andre. That's scary.

Jacque,

it is easy, no one shoots the guy who fixes the internet...

jokes aside, we've lived thru worse periods. Once there were only the bad
guys. Now, for the first time, the goverment is making a stand and our
troops are finally reclaiming crime territory after decades. I am 30 years
old and it is the first time in my lifetime that Vila do Cruzeiro was taken.
Now, if they can take Complexo do Alemão (which is funny in a non-funny way
because this name means complex of the germans and german is a street slang
for enemy in Rio), this slum is quite big, the size of 10 city districts and
one of the strongholds of one of the criminal factions, the comando vermelho
(Red Command).

It was worse when I was young. I remember by the time I was 14 or 15, I was
robbed almost every single week! As I left the school to take the bus home,
I had to pass by a slum and kids from that place would always rob us. I used
to carry three wallets, the exchange would go like this:

kid with some weapon: "hey playboy, pass me your wallet!"
me: "here! here!" and pass wallet #1 with no money
kid with some weapon: "Do you think I am a moron, pass me the hidden one!"
me: "Okay, sorry, sorry! here! here!" pass wallet #2 with less than 5 USD
kid with some weapon: "Just that? What is this?"
me: "I was robbed this morning..."
kid with some weapon: "Damn!"
me: "Can you spare me the change to take the bus"
kid with some weapon: "Okay, pick 1 back"

Now, we're not robbed like this anymore. Still we're at war like you seen
but this happens mostly on the poor areas and the upper middle class never
sees it. Me as just-middle-class am on the cross fire. I do not live in a
slum, but I live next to some. So I am safe but I do see the violence and
need to be extra careful not to be hit by it while on my comute to work

Well, as they say, it is never boring to be in Rio, lots of fireworks
everyday...

Thanks for the kind words Jacque but you guys will still suffer my wedding
pictures on the next conference.