MySQL Server More Expensive than Valentina DB Server (was RE: How do you programmatically create an empty database?)

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Wed Nov 24 12:48:00 EST 2010

 > Valentina works well and has great support, but the software
> is somehwat heavy to my taste and very expensive compared to
> the open-source solutions (obviously) and I agree that it is
> quite impossible to find out whether Valentina is the right
> tool in 10 minutes :-) I think you need an additional license
> if you want to use Valentina on a different platform.

Mark, I would hate to think anyone would spend only 10 minutes evaluating
infrastructural software ;-)

As Tervor detailed elsewhere, MySQL is not free for commercial development.
Open Source doesn't always mean something is free. And here's something
interesting...

**MySQL Server is Much More Expensive than Valentina Office Server**

If you price server deployment, check this out:

http://www.mysql.com/products/ << - that's $2K, $5K and $10K PER YEAR.

The embedded database for commercial developers has a "contact us", which
allows them to evaluate just how much they will make you pay. We are up
front with our costs.

Valentina Office Server starts at $299.99 and maxes out at $1,499. It also
includes a powerful, server side reports system, and a copy of Valentina
Studio Pro (for admin and report building). You get 12 months of free
updates, and no PER SERVER/PER YEAR fees.

So...That's right Valentina Office Server DELIVERS MORE, but costs $500 less
than the LOWEST price server from MySQL.

Prices may have changed since you last looked, because Oracle has been
dropping lower priced products or jacking them up. See my blog post on this
to see how they've jacked prices in 2008, and 2009.

And just to mention it - on Valentina-db.com, our Black Friday sale is 50%
off new licenses of ADK, ADK+, VDN, Valentina Studio and Valentina Office
Server.

> It would be interesting to hear from Revolution/LiveCode
> users whether Valentina really provides much better
> performance and is really worth paying for.

I would be happy to hear something new - we have plenty of references on the
valentina-db.com website.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President