How do you programmatically create an empty database?

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 17:19:51 EST 2010

Should I use SQLite for a database that is going to be used by multiple
users on a shared drive?

The ongoing thread regarding multiuser use of SQLite has me wary of doing
so.

Can I use mySQL in the same embedded style that I can use SQLite, or does it
have to be installed on user's machines?

My current thought is to set it up with Valentina (demo mode, 10 minute
limit, etc...), then use the fully-working prototype to persuade my boss to
buy a Valentina license.

>From everything I read about embedded Valentina, it seems like the way to
go.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Andre Garzia <andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> If you use firefox, then pick up a firefox extension sqlite manager. With
> this extension you'll have a simple client able to work your database files
> which you can then later open and use in LiveCode.
>
> There are other sqlite tools and yes you can do it by script but I think it
> is easier to use a graphical tool.
>
> if you're on mac os x, then on the terminal there is a utility called
> sqlite3 which can be used.
>
> andre
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Jonathan Lynch <jonathandlynch at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Honestly, I am still just trying to get my head around using databases.
> >
> > I use Rev for processing text in all sorts of creative ways at work -
> > vastly
> > increases our productivity - but, I know next to nothing about database
> > use.
> >
> > The logical process, to me, would be the following:
> >
> > - Create database file
> > - Populate it with columns
> > - Set up my application to use an embedded database app to write and
> > retrieve data as needed
> >
> > Say, for example, if I wanted to experiment with Valentina (knowing that
> > the
> > demo version only lasts 10 minutes before the app has to be restarted). I
> > could not fool around with it, without having an existing file to work
> > with.
> >
> > So, I thought to myself, my first step must be to create a database file.
> > am not committed to doing it in a script, I just don't know how else to
> > access the embedded database driver functionalities.
> >
> > Should I just find a blank database file somewhere on the web and
> download
> > it?
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Mark Schonewille <
> > m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Jonathan,
> > >
> > > That depends on the database you want to use. If you use MySQL then the
> > > answer is yes, although it might be possible to write new database
> files
> > > directly to the MySQL directory and restart MySQL (for which you will
> > also
> > > need to use the shell function).
> > >
> > > Why are you so keen on creating a database file by script?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Mark Schonewille
> > >
> > > Economy-x-Talk Consulting and Software Engineering
> > > Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
> > > Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer
> > > KvK: 50277553
> > >
> > > How to receive a free Color Converter license http://qurl.tk/kv (read