Audio Triggering + Mouse Event latency

Anthony Howe anthonyhowe at mac.com
Tue Nov 16 01:32:32 EST 2010

Hiya Scott,

Yea.. the mouseDown on a virtual instrument for a user is difficult in a desktop computing scenario for sure.

We're different here though...I can't remember if I already specified this, but the target user scenario is aimed at students 'tapping' on an interactive whiteboard with their finger or stylus to play the instruments.

In this implementation, the mouseDown event would be the ideal event to handle. It would be MUCH more intuitive for the user (lots of students in a classroom) to simply be able to trigger the events directly from the interactive whiteboard, and not be worried about what key to press to activate what instrument etc...

Having said that, we're now putting some more thought into how to make best use of the keyboard as the 'playing surface' of the instrument, given that the mouseDown event does not look like it's going to work out reliably....hope I'm wrong!

Cheers,

A.